Thursday, September 5, 2019

Week 3A: Communication - Business & Consumer


  I currently work for a large bio-tech company as an asset manager for the laboratory equipment on site.  One of my main responsibilities is coordinating with different internal (sub companies) and external companies to perform equipment maintenance.  Most of the companies I work with understand the service level I require and are more than happy to make my job easier.  We had one company who was the complete opposite and although we gave them plenty of work, their mindset was very closed in terms of cooperating with our needs.  The things I needed from them weren't anything extravagant, mainly a constant communication (I need to provide updates to the equipment owners) and to receive service reports for their work completed. I reached out to the technician multiple times to try to resolve the issue at his level but he never replied to phone calls or emails.  After a few weeks of trying, I finally escalated the issue to his supervisors who made it seem like they were going to remedy the issue.  In reality, the issue was resolved for about a month before the communication died out again. At this point, I still have not received a service report from them.  I reached out to the supervisors again but no one responded after multiple attempts.  Finally, I had had enough and decided to stop using the company all together. Within a few months, they noticed their profits take a huge dip.  Each repair they perform is usually 4-8 labor hours at about $200 per hour.  They were getting about 10+ work orders a week.  Months later, out of the blue, I get an email from a new supervisor who had revamped the entire process and has adapted to my needs.  Seeing the turn around, I've been sending them work orders again and so far, I've received my service reports and had communication well maintained with weekly phone calls and almost daily emails from the supervisor asking for improvement points.

  As a customer, I've also had bad experiences at businesses and with no real form of direct communication with the owner, I had to take to social media.  Yelp has been my go to tool when I have an issue with a business and I tend to get responses back from the owners.  I think the reason it works so well is that yelp directly effects the profitability of a business.  If the Yelp reviews are low, then there will be less people willing to visit the establishment and vice versa. My wife love boba and we go to Sharetea a lot in Orange County and Mira Mesa.  Recently an Escondido location has opened up and we've become regulars.  We have noticed that the boba amount per drink is significantly less than the other locations by almost half.  After weeks of getting drinks there, my wife said she was going to just order extra boba to make it like the normal amount at other locations.  Funny thing is, when she got her drink, they gave her even less than their normal amount!  She was dumbfounded.  She asked the cashier if it was extra boba (which she knew it wasn't) and he checked with the kitchen worker who said it was. Usually I'm the yelper but she got on the app immediately and uploaded her picture of her drink with a 1 star review.  The next day, the owner reached out saying they will be providing training to their servers.  Who knows if it actually happened, but at least the business owner reached out to attempt to resolve the issue.  I've had several positive experiences based off my yelp review which has resulted in better service. 

  If I had a business, I would do my best to acknowledge every review on yelp.  I would thank all the positive reviews and probe for points of improvement.  For the negative reviews, I would acknowledge the issue and create a plan to remedy (if plausible).  I would ask politely for the reviewer to try my business again and to provide an update on their current review whether positive or negative.

7 comments:

  1. Reading this reminded me of a previous job and dealing with a very difficult vendor who was Gibson Guitars. I swear every single time we ever had any interaction with them made you want to go and take all of their guitars off of the wall. The ironic thing is we sold a lot of them. Im glad to read that the company you mentioned got their act together, its been a long time since I was in the music retail field but from what I hear Gibson is still just as terrible as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anthony,
    Great examples of your experiences with businesses, both positive and negative. Felt like I was right there with you! As a big boba fan, I would have done the same thing. At least they made an effort to get back to you one way or another. Sounds like you keep these experiences in mind as a potential business owner seeking to do the right thing on Yelp and other platforms. Good blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment that Yelp is very useful. I use Yelp before I go to a new place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The story about the boba reminded me of when I was ordering food from McDonald's for my mom and she asked me to get extra pickles. Anyway, the first time they put one pickle in there, the second time they put two, and finally on the third time after a long talk with the manager they gave my mom 5-6. For some reason sometimes the employees take it personally like it's their product or something, who knows. Anyway I agree with how you would reach out to the people that commented negatively and ask them to return to review the service. Most people would give the second chance and it can allow you to receive a better rating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, getting them to try your business again is the best for business (well as long as the next review/experience is positive). But hopefully you are able to resolve the issue after it happens once so it doesn't happen again. We need feedback to get better, thats for sure. No one is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anthony, I can sympathize with your frustrating work experience. When I worked as a project manager for a contractor, communication was key. I had a few vendors and subcontractors that did not provide required information/documentation in a timely fashion. So, like you, we had to quit using them. We never mended the business relationship as there were other vendors and subcontractors that were able to provide what we needed in a timely fashion.
    Regarding the Boba, I'm happy to hear that your wife received a response from the manager. As a small business owner myself, I understand the importance of replying to customers and addressing their concerns. I hope changes have been made and that your wife gets extra Boba next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's unprofessional to ignore business emails but i'm glad everything worked out in the end for you hopefully it doesn't become more of a problem in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Week 17 - Final

  When I first signed up for this class, I thought I knew what it was going to be about and I honestly didn't think I would learn much. ...